We’re excited to reveal the launch of our brand new Block of the Month series. This ‘Hugs and Kisses’ block is the first in our Courthouse Steps BOM, designed by Karen Lewis.
Cut and twist sweet Flying Geese units in candy shades to create this 6in block in just an evening or two. You can find Karen’s step-by-step instructions for this block in issue 64. Scroll down to see the finished quilt pattern to get a feel for where this block will fit into the bigger picture.
We’ll be sewing along here on team Love Patchwork & Quilting, and we want to see how you’re all getting on too. So we’re launching an instagram sewalong. Share your finished block with us #courthousestepsBOM. We’ll share our favourites each week in our instagram stories.
- Find out how to make Block 1: Hugs and Kisses in issue 64
- See more of Karen’s work over at karenlewistextiles.com or on instagram @karenlewistextiles
- Browse more Modern Quilt Blocks patterns
You will need…
Stock up your fabric supplies with our list of everything you’ll need to make this finished quilt…
To make one Hug and Kisses (1) block:
- Print fabric: one (1) fat sixteenth
- White fabric: one (1) fat sixteenth
You’ll need to make 7 Hugs and Kisses blocks for the final quilt:
- Dark blue print: One (1) fat eighth
- Green print: One (1) fat eighth
- Light blue print: One (1) fat eighth
- Yellow print: One (1) fat sixteenth
- White fabric: 1/2yd
- One block: 6in square
- Quilt: 66in square
To make the entire quilt:
- Dark blue print: 1 yd
- Green print: 1 yd
- Light blue print: 3⁄4yd
- Yellow print: 3⁄4 yard
- Pink print: 1⁄4 yard
- Purple print: one (1) fat eighth
- White solid: 6 1⁄2 yards
- Batting: 70in square
- Backing fabric: 4 yards
- Binding fabric: 1⁄2 yards
Quilt Layout Diagram
Here’s what we’ll be working towards…
Sew along each month!
This Block of the Month will continue into 2019, and we’ll update this blog post with a picture of each new block in the series as we publish them in the magazine. You can refer back to us here if you ever find you’ve missed a month and need to catch up. You’ll find the full instructions for how to make each new block in our upcoming issues of Love Patchwork & Quilting magazine, starting with issue 64.