Woo hoo! We love it when a new issue arrives in the office, and today we get to see issue 40 for the first time since we waved it off on it’s merry way to the printers. This issue comes with a free gift that we’re really excited about – a set of super-handy templates with three different shapes for you to help you to perfect your hand piecing patchwork skills.
Mix and match the shapes to piece-up geometric designs for eye-catching patchwork play. Our gemstone, kite and diamond templates come with holes to help you mark the seam allowance for each shape. We’ve put together this step-by-step guide for how to use your templates to piece-up the very best on-trend geometric effects!
How to use your free hand-piecing templates
- Prepare your hand-piecing kit. You will need: hand-piecing templates (free with issue 40 of Love Patchwork & Quilting magazine) fabric, washable marking pen, ruler, fabric scissors and a cutting mat.
- Start by planning your design. Think about the shapes you’d like to include then grab a pencil and paper to try them out. Our technical guru Sarah has put together some of her fave ideas for our templates – you can download them for inspo here.
- Now it’s time to get to the fun part – choosing your fabric! You can colour in different sections of your planning sheet to sort out which prints will go where, then you just need to get prepping. We wanted a hexie design, so we marked around the Gemstone template onto the wrong side of the fabric using an erasable pen, stopping at the horizontal line. Make sure you also dot through the holes to mark your seam allowance.
- Use a ruler and your pen to finish off the hexie shape, then join the dots to fill in your seam allowance.
- Use your scissors to cut out your shape.
Repeat for the rest of your design, and then you’re ready to get hand piecing – head over to Lucy Brennan’s blog www.charmaboutyou.com for her great hand piecing a quilt walkthrough and some super quilty ideas.