Did you love the Shine Bright project by Karen Lewis in issue 39? As an added bonus she put together an extra tutorial to use up the colourful triangles trimmed from the quilt’s Star Point units to make the most of all that fabric goodness! Read on to learn how…
You will need…
- Print fabric: one hundred and sixty (160) leftover triangles
- Backing fabric: 23in x 30in
- Batting: 23in x 30in
- Binding fabric: 1/4yd
18in x 24in approx
- Seam allowances are 1/4 in, unless otherwise noted.
- RST = right sides together.
- Fractions: We love our website but it has a few font restraints when it comes to showing you fractions. To make sure all is clear, if we feature a fraction we will always list it with a gap to make it clear – as follows 12 ½in = 12 and a half inches
- Print fabrics are from the Blueberry Park collection by Karen Lewis and the Carkai collection by Carolyn Friedlander, both for Robert Kaufman.
MAKING THE BLOCKS
Step 1: Take two right-hand coloured triangles trimmed from step 10 of the quilt instructions and place them RST, matching up the diagonal edge – the triangle underneath will have an overhang of 1/4in at one end and the triangle on top will have an overhang of 1/4in at the opposite end. Join on the diagonal edge with a 1/4in seam.
Step 2: Open out and press. Trim to 4in x 2in making sure the diagonal runs from corner to corner.
Step 3: Repeat steps 1 and 2 with the remaining right-hand triangles and the left-hand triangles from step 11 of the quilt instructions to give you eighty units in total – you will have forty with the diagonal running in one direction and forty with the diagonal running in the opposite direction.
COMPLETING THE MINI QUILT
Step 4: Arrange the units into five rows of sixteen units each. Join them into rows and then join the rows to complete the quilt top, which should measure 18in x 241/2in.
Step 5: Repeat steps 29–31 of the quilt instructions to quilt and finish the mini quilt. Karen quilted this mini with vertical lines approx 3/8in apart.
Step 6 From the binding fabric, cut three (3) 21/2in x WOF strips. Repeat steps 32–33 of the quilt instructions to bind the mini quilt.